Backpacking Beijing (Part 1)

“The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” 
― G.K. Chesterton



I was fortunate enough to have obtained a Chinese Visa despite of a not so good relationship between the 2 states (PH & CH). I have traveled to a number of countries, often alone; however, traveling to China is one heck of a challenge.
First, people in China do not speak English (well, at most majorities). Second, Beijing is so BIG. By big I mean its land area and its crowded population making it hard to move around the city. Lastly, I was limited to a 3-day trip which I had to carefully maximize. 

These difficulties were part of the challenges that every traveler (who especially travels alone) to Beijing has. That's why I love to travel alone as I love being challenged. Traveling solo gives me some sense of adventure; and it is through adventures where one learns the lessons one couldn't get in the 4 walls of the classroom or even in the work environment.
My solo trip to Beijing gave me that sense of connection to other tourists from different walks of life. It also opened my eyes to see the genuine beauty of the Chinese culture. Truly fascinating and worth visiting… I love Beijing!

Let me take you to the wonders of China, specifically in Beijing. For a very short trip like this, i wasted no time. I took a Cebu Pacific Flight from Cebu to Manila, then Manila to Beijing. I got a promotion price (Php. 5,800++)on my fare which i booked way back August of 2013. Yeah, you heard it right, it was almost a year before my travel.

Anyway, Cebu  Pacific has a daily flight from NAIA 3 to Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 2. 

My flight took off at around 07:40 PM, flying an altitude of 33,000 feet above sea level cruising the skies of Hongkong, Mainland China, then to Bejing after 4 hours and 30 minutes. I arrived at the China's Capital Airport at around 12:00 Midnight. By the way, there is no time difference between Manila and Beijing.

Arrival/Departure Card
The Arrival Hall of Terminal 2 of the Beijing Capital Airport is not that  big. Just after passengers deplaned, we were directed to the Immigration Control. There's a separate lane for Chinese Nationals and those who are foreign passport holders. Since it was already past midnight, there were only 2 counters controlling foreign visitors. Just like whenever you go to other countries, Flight Attendants would give you arrival (with departure) cards for all passengers to fill up prior to heading to the immigration Control. When i had my turn at the counter, i handed my Philippine passport together with my pre-filled out arrival card (well, you had to keep the departure card with you which was stamped by the Immigration officer). PASSPORT STAMPED! Yebahhhh.

Arrival Hall: Beijing Capital Airport,  Terminal 2 (right after you get out from Customs)






After the Immigration Control, i had to pass through the Chinese Customs. Since i didn't have anything to declare, it was just smooth sailing. Then i found myself standing at the Arrival hall flocked with Chinese nationals and some foreigners (The Blondes). There were few English signs in the airport and most of the ground staff could hardly speak even a little English.  It took me a moment to realize that i was standing on a floor where no one could speak fluent English to give me directions (but let me credit the Chinese ground crew who were very nice at me). There were plenty of Maps in the airport however, everything was in Chinese. Too bad, i didn't find any English map.
Passengers' waiting area at Beijing Capital Airport, Terminal 2.
There were a couple of Chinese men who offered me to be taken to the city via taxi but i didn't bother to entertain them because i knew it would've been very expensive. Plus, i didn't really want to entrust my life to strangers in the middle of the night. Well, it was just a precautionary measure as i know nothing in Mandarin. Also, i planned to take the Airport Express train which would start its service at 06:30 AM. While waiting for the Train's first trip to the city, i tried to roam around the airport. I had been approached by Airport Security personnel a couple of times and was asked if i was fine. They were thinking that i was lost so i told them that i was just waiting for the Airport Express Train's first trip. In the course of time, I was able to grab some food at KFC (just a burger though at 18 Yuan) plus, i managed to take a nap on their not so comfortable chair.

Airport Express Platform at the Terminal 2, Beijing Capital Airport
Note, the lift going down to the Express way was shut until 06:00 AM. Once it started to operate, passengers flocked the elevator. I was surprised as i didn't expect that there were hundreds to a thousand of passengers rushing to the ticket boot of the train. I fell in a very long queue and took me around 10 minutes to get my train ticket. The ticket booth for the Airport Express is located at the Basement 1 of the Terminal just outside the Airport Express Platform. 
Airport Express Coach

Inside a Subway Train (off-peak)
From the Airport Express, i got off at Dongzhimen Subway Station (second and last stop of Airport Express). This subway was an interchange to Subway Line 13 and Line 2. But before transferring to another lane, i still had to secure a Smart Card.  This plastic card is a prepaid card which you can use in all Subway Lanes and Public Buses. Each subway trip would cost you 2 Yuan and 1 Yuan for buses no matter how long your trip would be. This is one thing i was quite amazed in Beijing. Indeed, their train was designed perfectly (well, not to mention it underwent Feng Shui before it was built). So after so many attempts of asking people who know nothing about English, i was finally able to get a card. They would charge you 20 Yuan deposit plus the amount you wanted to load. I asked the guy to load it with 80 Yuan so i gave him 100, but he didn't understand my English and ended up my card loaded with 50 Yuan only and he gave me my 50 Yuan change. No biggie though, so i went to transfer to Line 13 for me to get off at  LONGZE subway station to catch a bus going to my Hotel in Juyong Guan Great Wall. Well, i read this online. After so many stops, i finally arrived t the Longze station. I got out to catch bus 68. But to my dismay, i found nothing. I went from one corner to another, was standing there for more than 30 minutes, but I didn't see any single bus 68. Again, to my frustration, i couldn't get help in direction as every time i asked the locals, they would just shake their heads. They didn't understand my English.


It was already past 08:00 AM when i decided to take an alternative route going to the Great Wall in Badaling instead. So i got back to the Longze station, passed through the same side where i got off since the train would just continue its trip to Xizhimen subway (last) station where it connects to the Beijing North Railway station. When i got off, again, i didn't find much of English sign, so what i did was just followed where the crowd were heading to. I went directly to  to the terminal since i already had my smart card. I only needed to tap it at the entrance of the North Railway station, and i was good to go. 

I arrived just 5 minutes after the previous train left so i had to wait almost 2 hours to catch the next trip. 
Inside the Beijing North Railway Station
Huge crowd of people running towards the Train.
I boarded the S209 train which departed on time at 10:57. A quick tip. While waiting for the boarding time, make sure you are sitting very close to the entrance as people would tend to flock the door during boarding time. Again, i was never prepared to witness Chinese and Foreigners running towards the train as they get into the platform. Yes, it seems like there was a marathon. Everyone was chasing the train fast. I didn't just snuggle there, so i also ran. Viola! i was able to secure a seat next to the window. I so love their train, it had plenty of leg room. 

As the trains started to move, i didn't notice how weak my body was that i fell asleep. Good thing i managed to wake up just minutes before we approached the greenery hills of Beijing. 

After an hour, we started seeing a portion of The Great Wall. Geez! i screamed inside, finally i was about to see the greatest work of mankind thousand of years ago. We passed through a couple of tunnels and the train had a 3-minute stop over at a certain station, i forgot the name (it was in Chines, in short, it was hard to remember). 

Just 10 minutes after, we arrived at the Badaling Station. I tapped my smart card at the Badaling station then i took the right exit. Geez! There were plenty of people. I was not kidding, it was thousands and thousands of tourists, both Chinese (from outside of Beijing) and the Westerners. Plus, it was too hot, well, i traveled during summer of Beijing, what would i expect?

Everything turn out to be a surprise to me. I couldn't move on, i was whispering, "i did my assignment, i researched" but it seemed like not everything was written online.  

Well, the Badaling Station is about 800 meters away from the Great Wall entrance. Imagine how long did i hike with my big bag-pack at my back (of course, i still came from the Airport with all my stuff). 

As i walked towards the entrance, i saw a lot of shops selling food (which i didn't know what they were as i couldn't read any single Chinese character) and souvenirs. I was so thirsty that dropped by a convenience store to buy water, then a  hot dog.

After 20 minutes of walking, HOOOLAAAAAH! i got into the entrance of the Badaling Great Wall. To the right of the entrance was the ticket booth. I fell on the queue (at this time, there were shorter lines as it was already past 12 noon, most of the tourists  where on their way down) and paid 40 Yuan. I was given a postcard ticket and OFF, there i go!!! see my photos below.
View of the Badaling Great Wall North Section, taken right after you get into the entrance.

Great Wall Badaling South Section
Give me 5! High 5 at the South Section of Badaling Great Wall.
Posing at the North Section of the Badaling Great Wall.
 Check details of my Great Wall Experience in my next blog.... 

Juyong Guan Great Wall Hotel from a far.

I finished my walk in the Badaling Great  Wall past 7:00PM. Well, it was summer in Beijing so the sun was still up around this time. 

I hired a Taxi (a small private car) at 100 Yuan to take me to the Juyong Guan Great Wall Hotel. 

When i arrived in the hotel, i really felt the Chinese ambiance however, it looked more like a ghost town as i think there were only 3 of us checked in in the hotel. I let my body rest for the night in a beautiful room of the hotel. 

Imagine my struggle when no one of the Hotel's staff speak English. It was all about body language at the time.

My Bedroom at the Great Wall Hotel - Juyon Guan.
Inside the hotel courtyard.
Overlooking the Hotel from the Top of Juyong Guan Pass Great Wall.

On the next day, i woke up very early... at 06:00 AM. Oh, i didn't realize it was still dark at this time. HAHA so i went back to sleep. 

By 07:00 AM, the sun had started to rise but suddenly the rain poured. So my plan of climbing the wall early was postponed for another hour. While waiting for the rain to subside, i purchased my ticket first for 45 Yuan (yeah, more expensive than the one in Badaling) and then ate their local noddles. 




At the South Entrance of the Juyung Guan Pass.

Right on top of the Juyung Guan Pass.

Part 2 of my Backpacking Beijing will follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment